The National Gallery of Victoria was Founded in 1861, it is the oldest and the largest public art gallery in Australia. The NGV operates across two sites: NGV International, located on St Kilda Road in the heart of the Melbourne Arts Precinct of Southbank, and The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia, located nearby at Federation Square. The St Kilda Road building, designed by Sir Roy Grounds, opened in 1968, and was renovated by Mario Bellini and reopened in 2003. The Ian Potter Centre: NGV Australia was designed by LAB Architecture Studio and opened in 2002.
In addition to donations of works of art, donated funds from wealthy citizens have been used by the NGV to purchase Australian and international works by both old and modern masters. The NGV currently holds over 65,000 works of art. The Felton Bequest, established by the will of Alfred Felton in 1904, has purchased over 15,000 works of art for the NGV.
NGV: 180 St Kilda Road Melbourne VIC View Map
Director: Tony EllwoodPhone: (03) 8620-2222
Email: Click here
Open: Open 10am–5pm Closed Tuesdays
Gallery Type: Public